Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How Pawpawty Works.

A special welcome to my nipclub furends! Please use the hashtag #nipclub for our special weekly pawty.



I wanted to explain my furend @FrugalDougal's #pawpawty to clear up some misunderstandings (or perhaps trolling) on Twitter.


A pawpawty is a virtual party held by and for the anipals (animal pals) on Twitter. To join, search hashtag #pawpawty. Each pawpawty benefits a different animal charity. A pawpawty lasts for an entire day and is attended by anipals from around the world. There are DJs spinning tunes using such sites as blip.fm and Grooveshark; Barktenders who serve virtual drinks such as Hank's Bacon Beer and tunatinis; and a Sekurity detail. It takes a lot of work to put together a pawpawty. Scheduling volunteers (over 50 at each party!), custom artwork, virtual menus. Dougal and his team do this every month. They are my heroes! You can read more about the individual team members on the >Anipal Times - #PawPawty Team


Recently someone was complaining that they were ignored during #pawpawty because they didn't donate. This is simply not the case. The tweets scroll by pretty fast during #pawpawty, so my guess is that either a) the person they addressed missed the tweet, or b) the complainer didn't direct their tweet at any specific individual.

There is never a cover charge to attend Dougal's #pawpawty! Tweets of "tip the DJs and Barktenders" ask for donations to the charity, but donations are totally voluntary. Da lady is out of work so I sometimes don't tip, but I usually volunteer to DJ. We do what we can to help da less fortunate.


There has also been some question as to how one can be sure the donations go where they're advertised to go. For that reason I'd like to explain a bit about what a charity is and tell you about a couple of services that safely handle donations for charities.


USA

In most cases U.S. charities are Section 501(c)(3) Organizations. Donations to these charities are tax-deductible.
"The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals."
from Exempt Purposes - Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)
If you are ever in doubt about an organization, look it up on IRS.gov: Search for Charities, Online Version of Publication 78. Be sure to keep track of your donations during the year - I use TurboTax ItsDeductible because TurboTax Online will import the information automatically.

Many anipals in da USA use Firstgiving - Online fundraising for everybody to set up a fundraising account. FirstGiving helps you find your favorite 501(c)(3) organization and create a fundraising web page. FirstGiving tallies the donations, takes a small percentage, and sends a check to your organization. Anipals using FirstGiving aren't involved in the money exchange at all.

UK Non-profits in the UK are called Registered Charities.
Charities are organisations that benefit the public in a way the law agrees is charitable. from About charities
Anipals in the UK can fundraise using JustGiving.

9 comments:

  1. Or they could has had they account locked and forgotted to unlock theyselves like @BadAndy_KityKat always does and then he bees invisibuls and is tweeting at hisself, BOL. I has to make fun of him for that coz I catch him efurry time eggsept for the last #pawpawty he rememmered all on his own! But this is why sekurity always announces to unlock youself if'n you want to be seen at the pawty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wanna be rude but me thinks dat maybe da "complainers" were not furry genuine. If dey wud just help anipals fur da sake of helping anipals ~ and not fur da sake of getting recognition ~ dey wud probably haff had a better experience at #PawPawty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I think they should add a section to the main pawpawty site with this info.

    Also, my own personal feeling is that I am not comfortable attending a pawty without a contribution. I never say anything about it, just don't attend unless I can.

    I love the pawpawties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I am something of an attention whore myself. But it's for a great cause. On the weeks when I can't donate - da lady's unemployment just ran out so der gonna be more of dem - I know I am still helping.

    Would it be better if the FirstGiving block didn't say the names of people who donated?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I know my Mom is starting a non-profit right now and human funds are very tight but I told her about it and she said she will donate whenever she can!
    As for not receiving tweets back, taking into account time zones and all, sometimes it is really hard. Like my twitter page says, I'm young but smart! :-) Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anipals shouldn't avoid a pawpawty just because they aren't in the position to donate at the time. Most anipals can't afford to donate to every pawty and every charity...

    We all have our own budgets and limitations. Most of us have other local charities or our own rescues we're supporting, and/or our own expensive vet bills, doctors' bills, may be out of work, etc.

    Everyone knows we'd all give tons o' clams if we had them and I don't believe anyone thinks at all about who may not donate or why.

    Just showing up and being part of the fun inspires others to donate. If you can donate a prize, great. If you can donate $, awesome. If you can dance on the table with a lampshade on your head - fantastic!

    Everyone, please come to the #pawties with bells on! And don't feel guilty if you can't donate (although I would recommend wearing a funny hat).

    Cokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you *must* feel guilty for not donating cash, assuage your guilt by being one of the many volunteers. For #pawpawty contact @FrugalDougal or @FergustheDog. I like to DJ.

      Delete
  7. This is great information, especially for brand new anipals on Twitter. During a pawpawty, there is SO much going on and so many tweets, it's hard to keep up sometimes (I think that just takes practice and patience). I agree with crazykittykat1 who said this info. should have a section on the main pawpawty site for all to see. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Rusty. This is invaluable information and would take a long time to explain to anipals. Useful stuff to refer them to. I'm relieved it says you can come to pawties and have fun even if you can't donate every time. Anipals work so hard to provide these events. Well done

    ReplyDelete

Pet Clothing